Support The Campaign
Sign Up to Join the Campaign
The BanTheBooths Campaign is supported by Emma Hardy MP, Dr Paul Williams MP, Richard Burgon MP, Shadow Justice Secretary, Alex Sobel MP and Fabian Hamilton, MP and Shadow Minister for Peace
We are campaigning for:
- The removal of deep confinement booths in all schools
- The regulation and reporting of all children isolated for more than half a day
- Funding to support schools in shifting from Isolation booths to better practice
Isolation booths are used in some Primary and Secondary Schools in an attempt to manage extremely disruptive behaviour. The use of these booths is currently unregulated and unreported. We believe they are a breach of the UN charter on the rights of the child, disproportionate and unnecessary. Booths are not used in custodial settings yet some schools have large isolation suites where children might be held for long periods. Recent Freedom of Information requests by the BBC show that in 500 schools using isolation booths 200 children had spent more than 5 consecutive days in isolation in the past year.
There is no evidence that booths or extended isolation has any positive effect on behaviour. There is a great deal of evidence to the contrary. There are some extremely successful schools working in challenging circumstances who have no isolation booths and manage behaviour superbly.
We believe that the booths are disproportionately occupied by children with Special Needs and BAME children. We need to see the national picture and have all Governing Bodies report isolation as they do exclusion and restraint.
We hope you can support our campaign. Here is what you can do right now:
- Use #BanTheBooths on social media and follow @BanTheBooths on Twitter
- Sign up to the campaign mailing list for news of events and milestones
- Share this page with your networks and particularly with organisations that might lend support
- Join the debate on social media respecting the rights of all participants to hold different views
- Write to your MP - click here to download a letter template.
Thank you for your support
For clarity we do not object to removal or separation of children from their classes. The focus of the campaign is on confinement booths (often called 'Isolation' or "Consequence' booths) not desk dividers.
‘Hear more about deep confinement booths and how to manage behaviour without them in this interview’