We are campaigning for:
- The removal of isolation booths in all schools
- The regulation and reporting of all children isolated for more than half a day
- Funding to support schools in shifting from Isolation booths to better practice
Isolation booths are used in some Primary and Secondary Schools in an attempt to manage behaviour, often for minor indiscrections. The use of these booths is currently unregulated and unreported. Most schools manage behaviour without Isolation booths or extended isolation. There is malpractice in some schools that is causing real harm.
We believe Isolation booths are a breach of the UN charter on the rights of the child, disproportionate and unnecessary. Booths are not used in custodial settings yet some schools have large isolation suites where children might be held for days, weeks and months. Recent Freedom of Information requests by the BBC show that in 500 schools using isolation booths 200 children had spent more than 5 consecutive days in isolation in the past year.
There is no evidence that booths or extended isolation has any positive effect on behaviour. There is a great deal of evidence to the contrary. There are some extremely successful schools working in challenging circumstances who have no isolation booths and manage behaviour superbly.
We believe that the booths are disproportionately occupied by children with Special Needs and BAME children. We need to see the national picture and have all Governing Bodies report isolation as they do exclusion and restraint.
A message from Jaz Ampar Farr. 'Is this a system we are proud of? We are better than this'
We hope you can support our campaign. Here is what you can do right now:
- Use #BanTheBooths and #LoseTheBooths on social media and follow @BanTheBooths on Twitter
- Sign up to the campaign mailing list below for news of events and milestones
- Share this page with your networks and particularly with organisations that might lend support
- Join the debate on social media respecting the rights of all participants to hold different views
- Write to your MP - click here to download a letter template.
The BanTheBooths Campaign is supported by Alex Sobel MP, Emma Hardy MP, Dr Paul Williams MP, Richard Burgon MP, Shadow Justice Secretary, and Fabian Hamilton MP Shadow Minister for Peace.
Thank you for your support
Paul Dix, Callum Wetherill and the Ban The Booths Crew
Please sign up to join our campaign. There is another way.
Hear more about isolation booths and how to manage behaviour without them in this interview with Paul Dix